Monday, 7 October 2013

Photography project

I put the call out and they came...cosplayers from as far away as Auckland and as close as...well, up the road.

I was going to edit the photos heavily in Photoshop and put in some art backgrounds (I still may edit some of them). But for the most part, I really just liked the documentary style that the photos took. And I think it captures the essence of what cosplay is about - which is mostly the "play" aspect.

The mix of cosplayers as crossplayers was unintentional - we had Logan as Ritsuka and Kaylaa as Soubi from Loveless, who are male characters and in a romantic relationship. Mia was herself as a Gothic Lolita. Cecily is Crona from Soul Eater, who has a very ambiguous gender which is never revealed. And I was Grell from Kuroshitsuji for the majority of the day, but also went out as Beast from Kuroshitsuji at the end of the shoot.

I decided the night before that it wasn't enough to just have pictures done in the studio. I felt that because it's cosplay, there has to be an audience. We dress up to be seen, to pose and have our picture taken. Audience reaction is a big part of cosplay.
Unfortunately...at university, no one bats an eyelid when you walk around dressed up. We did get some reaction but not a great deal. I imagine that a lot of the students probably had no idea what the characters were we were dressing up as (which is not the case at a convention).

We also took some photos using rapid shot that I edited into a slide show using Elements.

Kind thanks to our photographer Rhiannon Southon and thanks to the cosplayers Logan, Kaylaa, Cecily and Mia.

Introducing our cosplayers:


Logan (right), Kaylaa (left)


Kaylaa


Logan


Me (Keryn)


Mia


Cecily


Cecily

The things we do for cosplay - make up and wig time:































Strike a pose (or ten):




















































Venturing out into the unknown:




































Rapid Shot Experiment - Turning the pages



No comments:

Post a Comment